strangers do want to hear you talk about more than the weather; they really do care about your fears, feelings, opinions and experiences.
( https://getpocket.com/explore/item/when-meeting-someone-new-try-skirting-the-small-talk-and-digging-a-little-deeper )
60 great questions
- What’s your favorite sandwich and where did you eat it?
- What’s your favorite place on earth?
- What’s one place you’ve visited that you never want to return?
- What’s the best show on TV right now?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What’s the worst movie you ever saw?
- What’s the best thing you’ve read in the last five years?
- What’s the one item of clothing you couldn’t live without?
- If you could only bring three things with you on a deserted island, what would you pick?
- If you could save one material thing from a fire, what would you save?
- What’s your biggest pet peeve?
- What is your favorite movie of all time?
- What is the best concert you have ever been to?
- What’s the worst date you’ve ever been on?
- Would you rather be hot or cold?
- What’s your favorite karaoke song?
- What is on your bucket list?
- What are you most thankful for?
- What is your biggest regret in life?
- What are you most afraid of?
- What do you feel most passionate about?
- How do you like to spend your free time?
- What would your perfect day be like?
- What does your dream life look like?
- What is your favorite urban legend that you believe is true?
- Would you rather live without the internet, or without bathing?
- What was the best decade for music?
- Is it ever OK to lie?
- Who’s the most overrated celebrity?
- What’s the worst seat on a plane?
- What’s the most annoying thing people do in public?
- Are avocados overrated?
- Who’s your dream dinner party guest, living or dead?
- What would you do tomorrow if you won a million dollars today?
- Is a hot dog a sandwich?
- Are you a dog person or a cat person and why?
- Were Ross and Rachel really on a break?
- Who is the most important person in your life and why?
- Who in your life most makes you feel a sense of home?
- Do you have a mentor?
- Have you ever broken up with a friend, and why?
- How many close friends is ideal?
- Do you believe in soulmates?
- What is the best compliment that you’ve ever received?
- What do you want people to say about you at your funeral?
- What is something people would never guess just by looking at you?
- What makes you laugh the most?
- Have you ever made a decision that changed your life?
- What was the happiest day of your life?
- What’s your favorite thing about yourself?
- What did teachers used to say about you on your report card—and is it still true?
- What’s something you wish you could change about yourself?
- What’s the most exciting part of your job?
- What would you want people to say about you at your retirement party?
- What’s the most important thing you’ve ever done at work?
- What’s your ideal work-life balance?
- What’s the best piece of career advice you ever got?
- What was something you thought was a career setback that actually turned out to be an opportunity?
- What are the most important qualities in a leader?
- What was your first job?
50 Funny Questions
1. Who was your first celebrity crush, and are you still crushing on them?
2. What’s your go-to dance move, and can you show me? (Pleeeeease.)
3. If you got to choose your name, what would it be and why?
4. If you could use magic to do one mundane task for the rest of your life, what would it be? (Bonus question: What would you name the spell?)
5. What’s the weirdest item you keep by your bed?
6. What TV show would you want to be in? Which one would you not want to be in? (Not The Handmaid’s Tale, please.)
7. What’s the strangest purchase you’ve made or almost made on Amazon?
8. What is the best excuse for being late you’ve heard or used?
9. Do you have a secret talent? Can you do it right now?
10. When you were a kid, what name did you give your favorite toy or stuffed animal?
11. If you had a pet parrot, what would you teach it to say?
12. What is one band or musician you would love to party with?
13. What’s the best pick-up line you know?
14. What is your go-to movie when you need a pick-me-up?
15. What is your go-to guilty pleasure song?
16. If you could make the ultimate sandwich, what would be on it?
17. What is the worst fashion decision you’ve ever made? Do you have a picture of it?
18. If you could invent a holiday, what would it be?
19. What book or series did you wish you could live in?
20. If you could be the best in the world at something, what would it be?
21. What is your favorite room in your home?
22. What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
23. What item do you think (or tbh, hope) will be obsolete in 20 years?
24. If you could choose a lifetime supply of anything, what would it be?
25. What’s the weirdest thing you wanted to be when you grew up?
26. If you were the ruler of the world, who would be your top adviser?
27. What’s the worst date you’ve been on?
28. If you had to eat the same meal at least once a day, what would it be?
29. What would be the tagline to the sitcom of your life?
30. What’s your most unpopular food opinion?
31. Which piece of clothing do you no longer wear but can’t throw away?
32. Do you like pineapple on pizza? Make the case why or why not.
33. What word do you want added to the dictionary, and what is its definition?
34. What two normal activities would be really weird if you did them back to back?
35. Have you or someone you know seen your doppelgänger?
36. What food do you think would represent each U.S. state?
37. If you opened a store, what would you sell and what would be its name?
38. What’s the funniest thing you’ve read recently?
39. If you were famous, what would your stage name be?
40. What character from a movie/book/show do you relate to the most and why?
41. Who do you think will be playing on “oldies radio” in 30 years?
42. What is a food combination that people eat that you just can’t get behind? (For example: dipping french fries in Frosties.)
43. Where is the coolest place you’ve ever pooped?
44. What is something you do that would be embarrassing if everyone found out?
45. What celebrities would you want to play your parents in a biopic about your life?
46. If you were arrested, what would it be for?
47. What’s the worst (fake) brand name you can think of for items you use every day?
48. Who is the one celebrity you would want to be friends with? Who would you not want to be friends with?
49. What is your favorite line from any movie?
50. Is a hot dog a sandwich?
also, there are weighty questions like, “what are you most grateful for in your life?” and “when is the last time you cried in front of another person?”